Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Man in the Mirror

Like most of you I have an addiction to this little website called Pinterest.com. I love her, she loves me, we have a relationship. It's getting pretty serious. Well on one of our late night dates I found starburst mirrors.



After clicking on an embarrassing amount of links they were running in the $200-300 range. If I'm paying $300 for a mirror it better roll over kiss me in the morning, get up and make me some sugar glazed bacon! After doing way too much shopping I said the words, the words that so often get me knee deep in supplies and frustration, "I can do that." How hard could it be right? How long could it possibly take? Mmm hmm.

Actually compared to some of the other projects that were tackled last year *cough* the bathroom *cough* the tea room, it wasn't too bad.

Plan A: Bamboo as the long attachments. Alas Klamath Falls, you let me down. Small town = no supplies.
Plan B: Wooden skewers used at BBQs for shish kabobs. Mmm shish kabobs. Mmm summer. Anyway! Turns out they are seasonal.
Plan C: Floral sticks used in bouquets. Bingo!

Just grabbed a mirror, oodles of hot glue, a cross-stitching ream, picture hangers and champagne colored metallic spray paint and primer in one. You know how I roll with the paint and primer combos. Heaven knows I hate myself some primer like I hate losing Words with friends by one flipping point!



Got all my supply goodness and I was ready to go! So I found the middle of the back of the 7" mirror...a few times...and made a mark so I knew where to make the rest of my measurements. I have a queen size bed and knew I wanted my sunburst mirror to take up most of the area above my bed. I cut my floral branches all 15" and then glued the branches 2" in from the edge of the mirror. Here is where the tricky part came in. Do you know how many 2mm tiny sticks it takes to go around a 7" diameter mirror?! A ridiculous amount that's how many! Oh and they turn your hands red. Oh and everything you touch red. Oh and it lasts for days. It looked like I had just killed a man. Note to self; next time I kill someone don't blame the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol blame it on the floral sticks. On it!

After all that was done I thought it would be a good idea to attach the picture hook so it would adhere to the back of the mirror itself and not the layer of spray paint over the back of the mirror. Then I just did some quick gluage of the sewing ream to the front of the mirror for a more complete look. Please disregard all of my straight "middle of the mirror" lines. That's how awesome I am.





I sprayed the back first as more of a test than anything to make sure it would cover alright. It did after a little coaxing.



After three coats of paint to that backside and four coats on the front side here is what I was left with.





Not too shabby right? For 90% less than the retail price on the mirror I really wanted, I would say that this will work awesome. Oh what?! The bedroom walls are a different color? Of course they are! Can I keep any room the same color for more than a year? Haha! Is the pope Jewish?! Wait...that's not correct is it? Oh well you get it. More on the redecorated master bedroom coming soon. You know you're excited.