-Rascal Flatts
Why do we do this to ourselves?
Why do we hold on?
What is it about these people, these experiences, and these things that are so worth clinging to? I have asked myself this question often, probably too often, as it has taken up many hours of my short life. There are these life moments that are gone. They will not come back, but even if they did it would never be the same, or as good as it was in our thoughts. Our minds play this cruel trick on us, most people refer to it as a "mental block." It is silly of us to only see the good. It is silly because most people, not all but most, don't learn from the good things. We learn from the bad. How can we possibly progress when we are constantly bathing in only a dream?
I am an extremely sentimental person. I cry every single time I move to a new place, I change a job, and even when I give or sell something that I bought and doesn't work. I save old text messages from when friends were nearby because it makes me feel like they are near. I have a T-shirt from an old boyfriend that I still have under my bed. I don't sleep in it anymore, I don't smell it to see if the smell of his skin still lingers on its threads. He isn't a part of my life anymore. However he did play a leading role. I wonder if that's why we hold on....
...Maybe we don't hang on to be happy...
...Maybe we hang on because we are too scared to let go...
...What is worse than falling?