Friday, July 15, 2011

The New Tea Room. Even Though We Don't Drink Tea.

It's raining outside. I love it. Sweet summer rain is one of the great loves of my life. I think it falls right behind bacon and surgery. To be clear, not bacon from surgery...just to be clear. I am very glad that it was not raining a month ago! Well, because my house had a 6'x6' hole in it. You don't believe me? You shouldn't. I am what some call an exaggerator. However only when it makes the story a lot better or more funny or well you get it. Here's proof:



It was more like 5'x6' but it was still non buenos!

That was after my sexy manfriend AKA my husband removed the sliding glass door. Believe me when I tell you that this glass door was B-A-D. We moved in this house in December and I remember sprinting from my warm shower to the den (we were installing carpet and all the furniture was on the hardwood floors including my dresser) bare naked and that aluminum glass door had a sheet of ice on the INSIDE side of it. Needless to say it had to be replaced. After much whining and 1 failed man cave, the den became my new tea room. Let's start from the beginning. Sorry to those of you with glaucoma or attention deficit disorder. Maybe this post isn't for you. It will be long and probably dripping with details you don't give a rodents pa-toot about.



The manfriend pulled the door out and immediately the first phase of problems arose. The foundation underneath the glass door had crumbled away to nothing. This was not a good start and was surprisingly disheartening. Yet it was only the beginning of a project full of blood, sweat and tears. Mainly blood.

We ended up having to contact a contractor we knew to see what to do next and make sure it was up to code and safe for the next family that lives here. Turns out it was a pretty easy fix. Poured a little cement we had left over from the garden gate project, let it set up and kept going.

Because we were replacing a sliding glass door with a regular human window we had to frame out underneath the window. This was probably the most easy section of our drawn out room re-do. My brother in law Jason came over a few hours after we began to help out and make sure Joe didn't kill himself or me. There were a lot of power tools involved as well as a deep hole in the backyard. Wouldn't have been too difficult to hide a body and not report someone missing for 30 days. Maybe only Florida can get away with that...ANYWAY.





Right as I was beginning to enjoy the idea of a little open bar to the backyard they went and put a window in it. Dang. After putting up the siding on the outside the men took a well deserved break for the night. The next day was part II of the uh oh room.



A very excited Ashlyn awoke the next morning and ran to the new window to see how the morning sun introduced itself. It was beautiful! I was so happy. Today I would get sheet rock, then texture then...PAINT! Not so much. Joe was going to move a few awkward outlets to better locations when after sticking his finger behind the wall and outlet made a shocking discovery, there was no insulation behind this exterior facing wall. We think this room was a quick project for someone maybe expecting a new family member and just needed one extra room. Either way this was not good. Of course Joe, being Joe couldn't just fix one wall, all the walls had to be checked and of course we found all the walls to be similar. SHOCKER.

After tearing all the walls down we found that there was not only no insulation but no support beams holding our ceiling and walls up. AWESOME. I believe it was right about here that I just started crying. I actually had a little bit of what a therapist would call a "psychotic break." Seriously I was so mad that I just shut the door to the room and made my poor manfriend finish all the NEW framing, sheet rock and texture. I was still working on my dresser remodel (more on that another day when your eyes aren't straining) outside.

My husband surprised me with wainscoting beadoard. I hadn't planned on beadboard but he was pretty excited so I just let it be. He was so fast with it I hardly got pictures. But to all of you thinking about any kind of wainscoting if I may give some advice: measure, measure and REmeasure.

The poor guy had to make many an extra cut due to obstacles like these:



Oh and these.



Soon they were done and it was my turn. Well I kind of got eager about paint and uh painted too early. It's cool though because it made me realize that it wasn't the color I wanted anyway.

So after over a month this is what it looks like now.



I have a lot of the accessories and furniture for the room, some purchased, some made, but I am waiting on a few finishing touches from IKEA that I am getting for my birthday in 5 days, not that I am counting. Mi madre is coming this weekend and I know she will give me a few ideas too. So excited to show my friends and family the final product.

Any remodels you guys have done that have gotten a little out of hand?

Any of you have boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, cats, or lovers that are handy like my fellow? I am so thankful to have a hubs that fixes things and looks good doing it.