
Well the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is truly upon us. I had made a few Christmas gift purchases and headed to the dollar tree to buy the basics; tape, wrapping paper, bags etc. I walked into the store and found an overpopulated hospital. There were people everywhere. As you might know I like people in small doses. As I shifted through the aisles trying to find my necessities I was infested with people I would label as "low." They were unkept, dirty, poorly dressed and sick. Harsh I know, but it's a harsh world.
After all items had been gathered I prepared to stand in the line of ill taken care of beings. All this time I was in my "west Salem" state of mind (I am too good to be standing next you.) But when I got to the check stand I found an attractive older black woman with a big smile on her face. Now like I said I like people very much in small groups, but I especially like black people because they speak their mind. I made polite small talk as she rang up all my goodies. I said something along the lines of "My goodness, I bet you are really excited for your shift to be up soon."
Now we all have these moments in life that when you come upon them you just know that in that second something in you has been changed forever. This was my slap in the face, my sobering thought if you will.
She said, "Well I appreciate the extra hours," this is the part that kills me even in this moment while I hit the replay button I have a tear running down my cheek. She paused from checking, looked in my eyes and said, "Babies just don't understand why there isn't food on the table." It felt like I just took a bullet.
We all complain at one time or another that there isn't enough money but for this woman there REALLY isn't enough money. I got in the car, called my mom and thanked her for all she has done for me.
I am going to try to live a more grateful life. This will be my New Years Resolution.